Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 13″ x 9″ x 2″ pan.
Combine the following and brown until meat is cooked:
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Onion
- 1 Clove Garlic, Crushed
- 1 Pound Ground Round
- 1 Can Italian Style Tomatoes (1 lb. can)
- 1 6-oz. can Tomato Paste
- 2 teaspoons dried Oregano Leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried Basil Leaves
- 1 teaspoon Brown Sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Pepper
- 1 Cup Water
Mix well and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat. Simmer 20 minutes.
While above is simmering, prepare 1 large Eggplant,, Wash, do not peel skin Cut crosswise into 1/2″ thick slices.
Prepare the following:
- Slightly beat 2 eggs in pie plate and add 1 Tablespoon Water. Mix Well.
- On wax paper, combine bread crumbs plus 1/2 Cup Parmesan Cheese, mix well.
Dip eggplant slices in egg/water mixture and coat both sides, then dip slices in bread/cheese mix covering well. Brown both sides of slices in 1 Tablespoon hot oil.
Alternate layers in pan:
- 1/2 of eggplant
- cover with 1/2 of remaining parmesan cheee
- cover with 1/2 of the Mozzarella Cheee
- add the second half of the eggplant
- top with remaining parmesan cheese.
Bake 20 minutes. Top with remaining Mozzarella Cheese and return to oven for another 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.